IHPCH Voices

Making Your Voice Heard

IHPCH Voices

IHPCH Voices

Did you know? Bessie Coleman

Black History Month

Bessie Coleman was born on January 26, 1892, in Atlanta, Texas, and died in Florida on April 30th, 1926. Bessie Coleman is one of 13 children, she grew up in Waxahachie, Texas, where her intelligence in mathematics kept her from working in the cotton fields. She briefly attended college in Langston, Oklahoma, before moving to Chicago, where she worked as a manicurist and restaurant manager and became interested in the new aviation profession. On June 15, 1921, she became the first American woman to obtain an international pilot’s license from the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale. Coleman specialized in stunt flying and parachuting, Coleman faced many adversities and discrimination when trying to become a commercial pilot because she had limited options  Stunt flying, or barnstorming, was her only career option. Coleman staged the first public flight by an African American woman in America on Labor Day, September 3, 1922. Bessie Coleman used her intelligence and activism for Aviation to raise money to fund a school to train black aviators. Before she could fund her school, however, during a rehearsal for an aerial show, the plane carrying Coleman spun out of control, catapulting her 2,000 feet to her death. Bessie Coleman died at the age of 34 leaving behind a legacy of greatness within the aviation community for many generations to come.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/aviation